Mamburao Occidental Mindoro, PhilippinesMamburao Occidental Mindoro, PhilippinesMamburao Occidental Mindoro, Philippines

Facts and Figures


The Municipality of Mamburao lies on the level area of the coastal bank of Mamburao River and extends far beyond into interior at the foot of the mountains. The town is situated along Mamburao Bay, between Tubili Point and Mamburao Reef and affords good anchorage. Mamburao River empties into the bay about 3¼ miles eastward of Tubili Point. The bay has a good anchorage for northerly and easterly winds, but it’s exposed to the southeast monsoon. The Mamburao Reef extends 3¼ miles southward from Caroisan Point. The first settlement in Mindoro to have been visited by the Spaniards was the village of Mamburao, which according to accepted history made this village the Moro stronghold in the island. Early in January 1, 1560, Legaspi dispatched his grandson Juan de Salcedo with a combined Panay Forces in 15 boats, sailed from Mamburao and destroyed this Mohammedan town and demolished the pirate port. Salcedo returned richly laden with spoils of war and covered with martial glory. On May 3, 1560, another expedition was sent from Panay which included Salcedo and Martin de Goiti and touched at Mamburao.

In the early days of the propagation of Christianity, the Village of Mamburao belonged to the third convent district established at Calavite. Mamburao later became a ‘colossal empire”, for it either incorporated three towns or gave birth to the municipality. From the end of the Spanish period in 1902, Sablayan was a barrio of Mamburao as barrios. Under Act 1280 in 1905, Paluan and Abra de Ilog were annexed to Mamburao as barrios. All these places however, eventually were created as separate municipalities, In 1929, Sta. Cruz, a barrio of Mamburao, was also given independent status as a municipality.

Before the separation of Sta. Cruz from Mamburao, the latter had an area of 1,050 square kilometers, or 105,000 hectares. The population of Mamburao in 1903 was only 894, in 1939, it increased at 4,423, and in 1948 it jumped to 5,571. Literacy percentage then was 46.6%.

Mamburao’s population at the turn of the century was very sparse because it was depopulated during the Muslim invasion and piracy in the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. Mamburao itself was made the base of Muslim piratical raids of the coastal towns of Mindoro, Luzon and Visayas. During the latter part of the nineteenth century, Mamburao was peopled again by immigrants. The first batch if immigrants were Ilocanos who came from Zambales. Among the pioneering settlers were Simon Agpalo, Juan Ladao and Hermogenes Alcaide. Agpalo came in with his relatives, the de Jesuses, the Regudos and Ladaos. Simon Agpalo settled in Mamburao in 1860. At the turn of the century, Tagalogs came to Mamburao. Most of them came from Lubang, Looc, and Paluan, but some came from Batangas and Cavite.

By June 13, 1950, the entire province of Mindoro was divided into two Oriental and Occidental Mindoro, with Mamburao chosen as capital for Occidental Mindoro. The capital of Occidental Mindoro can be reached from the north via Batangas City to Matabang Port at Abra de Ilog – and on the South entrance thru Caminawit Port- San Jose approximately 32 and 170 kilometers distance respectively through national highways.

In the year 1974, Poblacion was divided into eight (8) barangays. In October, 1972 under Presidential Decree No. 86, there ware Barnagays Poblacion 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, and 8. The barangays were headed by the barangay Chairman and six (6) councilmen duly elected by the assembly.

On May 17, 1997, Barangay election was held. The total reorganization of Barangay Officials was undertaken headed by the Punong Barangay ad six (6) Kagawads. In the recently held 1997 Barangay Elections, the composition of barangay officials includes the Punong Barangay, seven (7) Barangay Councilors and one (1) Sangguniang Kabataan Chairman as Ex-Officio Kagawad.

Presently, Mamburao is composed of Fifteen (15) Barangays, with an approximate land area of 33,950 hectares. The 2007 census registered a total resident population of 34,487 inhabitants.

Return to Background index.